I've never actually watched anyone die before. I imagine though it was one of the more peaceful passings. His breathing began to change. He drew in a couple of short rattly breaths. And then it slowed down. He would take in a short breath and then nothing for what seemed like an eternity. It was only Michelle, Bonnie and me in the room. Bonnie quietly sent Michelle to get a nurse who came in, shut the door and confirmed his passing. Bonnie stood kind of quietly as Michelle and I sobbed. Bonnie asked the nurse if the others could come in. I was afraid of Bonnie falling apart so I stood up and said that I would tell everyone.
When I opened the door, everyone could tell that something was wrong, but I still got questioned as to what the matter was. I told them he was gone. That was quite the trial for me. Everyone jumped up and ran to his room. That was it, my grandfather, Buppie, my hero was gone.
What was I suppose to do now? We all stood for a few minutes and cried together. Michelle and I went outside for a few minutes and then re-joined our family, most of whom was packing up and getting ready to head out.
I gave my Buppie one last kiss good-bye.
I know he is in a better place now and there is no more pain and suffering. It will take a long time for us to feel better about any of this, but one thing is for sure, he will be greatly missed, never forgotten and always in our hearts.
Monday, October 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You said it all......you experienced something that will never leave you.....and God blessed you with it....so I knoe your heart is breaking, and it will for awhile....but remember one thing he is up there watching out for you with Nana......love you mammie
I'm so sorry, Liz. :hugs:
Hugs to you Liz, let us know if we can do anything for you Liz.
Love, Jenny
Post a Comment